[ilds] The Dark Labyrinth

Meta Cerar meta.cerar at guest.arnes.si
Fri May 6 04:54:01 PDT 2011

Dear all,

I am glad that by triggering off the posts on DL I helped improve the
»quantifiable evidence« of the interest in the book. And I do hope this
vivid discussion won't just die away.

Thank so much to all – Bruce, Charles, Richard, Laura, Marc. You have
provided ample material for my article. And Laura, I would very much like to
know more about your thesis on DL. My thesis, written years ago, by the way,
was on the transcendental aspect of the Alexandria Quartet.

I have to say that the intention of my post was not to act as an advocate of
the DL (much as I like the book), but rather to clarify a few questions that
have been puzzling me while translating the book. I was happy to find that
your replies mostly confirmed my feelings. I have always wondered why I like
this particular book so much, as I always felt a bit guilty that I found the
highbrows like Avignon Quintet (and some other things like Tunc) very hard
to struggle through. ( Alex. Quartet which I keep rereading, is of course
still a source of immense pleasure and inspiration!).  So I often wondered
abot this classification of Durrell's work.  »Highbrows« versus
»makeweights«? Although DL is, I agree, not exactly a highbrow«, I would
certainly not put it into the same league as White Eagles, Antrobus, Stiff
upper lip, etc. I'd rather say it occupies a very special place somewhere in
between, as T.S. Eliot observed /neither a Norden nor a Durrell, but
certainly more Durrell/. But then again, maybe I'm partial here – I find
Durrell a fascinating man and this book throws so much light on his complex
personality. And the themes that prevail in the book are very close to me –
the islomania, especially, and the retreat into the pastoral, quest of
spiritual fulfillment …

While I agree that Durrell's reluctance to discuss the book must at least
partly be related to the fact that it was too close a reflection of himself,
I still feel it's a pity DL's biographical significance was not explored
more thoroughly by those who knew Durrell well. And while it seems rather
certain that the male cast – Campion, Baird, Truman and even Fearmax (was
Durrell really quite knowleadgeable about astrology?) are all reflections of
a »troubled Durrell«, I wonder if the women in the DL, and especially
Boecklin, are really aspects of Nancy? Unfortunately I know very little
about her from what I've read in the biographies, so I cannot say, but maybe
one of you can contribute a more elaborate opinion here?

Looking forward to further discussion,

Best regards,

Meta

  _____