[ilds] The Dark Labyrinth

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Wed May 4 09:00:21 PDT 2011

Meta,

Thanks for the interest.  The essay, however, is in the research stage and far from being completed.  I consider The Dark Labyrinth ((1947) important, but Durrell himself didn't, T. S. Eliot didn't, nor do many participants on the ILDS list-serve.  The last is not a controversial statement — simply look at the lack of enthusiasm for any kind of discussion about the novel.  I doubt that many have read it, or, if they have, they categorize it as genre fiction.  Critical studies of DL are also meager.  Why?  My previous comments about Durrell's need to produce "big works" may have relevance.  Also pertinent, I think, is how one chooses to view LGD as a writer.  If you want to consider him a writer of serious postmodern fiction, then DL is not your meat.  It has a traditional form and doesn't have Durrell's distinctive poetic complexity.  On the other hand, if you're interested in Durrell's spiritual development, then the novel has much to offer.  I've already suggested that Durrell may have picked up the title from Miller's Time of the Assassins, a very spiritual book about that highly mysterious figure, Arthur Rimbaud.  DL also lends itself to psychoanalytic interpretations.  Guilt is an underlying theme in the novel, as Baird's psychoanalysis and his visit to the old abbot show.  At this point in his life, LGD was working through his divorce from Nancy Myers (finalized in 1947) and probably had some things to feel guilty about.  I am intrigued by the German soldier Böcklin, whom Baird kills and who is the source of his guilt.  Another German Bocklin (without the umlaut) appears in Prospero's Cell.  Moreover, Böcklin is also the name of a Swiss artist, Arnold Böcklin.  Nancy Myers was an artist.  I wonder if the Böcklin in DL is a screen for Nancy.

Bruce