[ilds] off the wall

Yael BD yaelibd at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 07:28:49 PDT 2011

As an amusing aside on Durrell's interest in sexualities, here's a quote
from his brother Gerald's book "Fillets of Plaice", from a story about the
family's adventures on Corfu (no prizes for guessing where Gerald took his
title from). Larry is talking about a young family guest, Leonora.

'My God, she's lovely,' said Larry admiringly. 'But I'm sure she's a
Lesbian. She resists all my advances.'

'She's certainly very lovely,' said Sven, 'so beautiful in fact that it
almost makes me wish I weren't a homosexual. However, there are advantages
to being homosexual.'

'I think to be bisexual is best,' said Larry, 'then you've got the best of
both worlds, as it were.'