[ilds] Durrell, Freud and Justine

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 09:06:16 PDT 2011

Hi Rony,

I think Marc has pointed to the same edition, but I believe Durrell
would have used the Basic Books edition from 1954.  Charles may have
more insights based on his work on the mss. of /Justine/, but I'm not sure.

Freud, Sigmund. /The Origins of Psycho-analysis; Letters to Wilhelm
Fliess, Drafts and Notes, 1887-1902/. Eds. Marie Bonaparte, Anna Freud,
and Ernst Kris. Trans. Eric Mosbacher and James Strachey. New York:
Basic Books, 1954.

As for the proof in the pudding, well, we know he was reading *some*
edition of the Freud-Fliess letters!  The 1954 copy isn't held in the
remnants of his library in Carbondale (though a 1960 edition of the
letters of Freud, also by Basic Books, *is* in his library there, as
you've noted).  I can't get Nanterre's Bibliothèque Lawrence Durrell to
work online today, but I don't believe they have Durrell's copy of the
Fliess letters either.  A good deal of their collection of Durrell's
personal library relates to psychoanalysis.  The few other bits & pieces
of his library that I've run into in other collections, such as UVic,
have all related to psychoanalysis as well.  That said, he lost a lot of
books...

I'd be inclined to check the quoted materials against the 1954 Basic
Books edition -- I have a nagging feeling I actually did that during my
dissertation work, and it's rendered the same in both versions.  I
could, however, be wrong or simply dizzy after last night's "super
moon."  Durrell was also sloppy in his quotations, often moving from a
reading to a notebook to a draft, and so on...  There are often errors
in quotations.

Please let the list know what you turn up!

Best,
James