[ilds] Wittgenstein

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 15 11:19:36 PDT 2011

Marc,

Yes, and thanks.  That's informative about today's interests.  Wittgenstein has been very important ever since his death in 1951 (in 1999 his Philosophical Investigations [1953] was rated the most important book on philosophy in the 20th century; moreover, he was recently ranked by contemporary philosophers as the most important philosopher of the last 200 years — interestingly enough, Derrida does not make the "top forty" — see link below).  By the 1960s, Wittgenstein was a very big deal in analytic philosophy.  But I don't how important he was during Durrell's period of his own "philosophical investigations."  Which was at its peak when?  Late 1930s through 1950s?  LW was professor of philosophy at Cambridge, 1939-1947, so there's some overlap.  Durrell may have been aware of Wittgenstein, but I seriously doubt that he studied him.  By the way, Wittgenstein rejects Freud's conceptualization of the "ego," which surely would not have pleased LGD.  Conversely, Durrell's notion of "multiple selves" would not have pleased LW, which, I assume, he would have considered multiple errors of the "no self."  Obviously, this is a big and complicated topic which needs to be fully explored, and I've yet to see anyone tackle it in the literary, biographical, philosophical, and historical perspectives that it requires.

Bruce

leiterreports.typepad.com/blog/2009/03/so-who-is-the-most-important-philosopher-of-the-past-200-years.html