[ilds] Wittgenstein

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 10:22:44 PDT 2011

I'm not sure if LD had any Wittgenstein in his various libraries, but
I'll check my files once I'm back home.

That said, I don't think you'd need Wittgenstein to make this particular
point.  There are plenty of ways to access it.  I personally am of the
mind that Durrell presents selfhood as suspicious yet a necessary
illusion.  The self is, in Nietzsche's sense, hard to find, which isn't
quite the same thing as saying it doesn't exist -- for LD, it's also
quite clearly subject to change, revision, and may be impossible for the
subject to actually locate or identify with any clarity.  However, and
perhaps this relates to my earlier comments on anarchism and Miller's
views on it, I don't think it's possible to align Durrell with the
anti-humanist vision of some forms of Marxism we might find in
Althusser.  Durrell's subjects don't appear to be created from the
social conditions of production that call subjectivity into existence...

FWIW, I'm always intrigued by what happens to selfhood or subjectivity
when Durrell's characters cross borders, discover a new sexual passion,
or are recast by different narrative voices.  Think, for instance, of
Bruce's identity in /Monsieur/, especially in the "Macabru" chapter.

What of selfhood when characters "become members of one another" in the
Quintet?  Hmmm.

Best,
James