[ilds] Wittgenstein

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 14 10:05:34 PDT 2011

Is there any evidence that suggests LGD had read or was familiar with the philosophy of Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)?  I cannot find any in the Bowker (1997) or MacNiven (1998) biographies, nor in The Durrell-Miller Letters (1988).  I doubt that Durrell dabbled in Wittgenstein, although how Pursewarden got his first name is an interesting question, which is probably just a coincidence.  Wittgenstein, however, was committed to the idea, in the words of Hans Sluga, "that there is no such thing as the self" (see "'Whose house is that?':  Wittgenstein on the Self" in The Cambridge Companion to Wittgenstein [1996], p. 350).  This is a big topic in philosophy, and the ideas of a "philosophical self" and an "everyday self" are not the same.  Wittgenstein dealt with the former, Durrell with the latter (I tend to believe — but maybe not).