[ilds] Pastoral Literature

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 09:11:53 PST 2011

I almost think this is the point -- one isn't supposed to come back to
the city...  I've always like the tension in the epigrams to Justine
between "talk" and "desire," one leading to the island to writing and
the other to the noose.  I think that plays out across the Quartet as a
whole as well: the island is the place of writing (talk) and
subjectivity while the city is the place where subjectivity is lost and
everyone becomes the object of the city's will or their own desires.

Is the same thing happening in /The Black Book/, /Panic Spring/,
/Cefalu/, /Monsieur/, and so forth?  I have a hunch it is.  We get the
same thing with time as well -- the island has rural time measured in
cycles or cigarettes while the city is on a teleological path to war,
like in the opening scenes of /Clea/.

I think he's fairly clear in using the Classical sources for the idea,
but there's no return to the city or to city man that can go well.  The
life of the village seems more creative with the city as a burst of
libidinal energy best enjoyed but not lived in.

Best,
James