[ilds] A Tale of Two Alexandrias (WSJ)

Denise Tart & David Green dtart at bigpond.net.au
Sat Mar 5 17:46:06 PST 2011

Charles,

an interesting peice. my view is that what is happening in Alexandria is part of general trend. the so called popular movements in North Africa and parts of the Middle East are part of drift toward a stricter version of Islam. This may not be the intention of them, but I think it will be the result. The bars in Turkey are closing down too. Sounds like Larry would have trouble finding a drink in The City of Memory these days. The days of the secular Arab League appear to be numbered.

At least there is balance in the world. bars are opening up rather than closing down here in the antipodes. we may no longer be a nation of beer swilling boors, but wine consumption is off the Richter scale and French type cafe/bars are opening up all over the place.

David