[ilds] Pastoral Literature

William Godshalk william.godshalk at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 12:53:25 PST 2011

Yes, and in the Renaissance, the pastoral world is in contrast to the urban
world. Characters from the city or the court go into the pastoral world to
seek and to find redemption, love, otium. It's a world of artistic
development. After finding what they were looking for,  they can go back to
the city or court -- cured and happy.

Consider Shakespeare's *As You Like It *with its forest of Arden.

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 4:48 PM, Denise Tart & David Green <
dtart at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

>  Bruce, I like the idea of the island books being a kind of modern
> pastoral. I can see it: the poet and his friend amidst a rustic background
> discussing the great issues (Prospero's Cell particularly) and the
> philosophical peasants in place of the shepherds - 'where the shepherd is
> the artist and the goats make music with the wind' to quote RW Hedges.
> certainly a fair number of Larry's beloved Elizabethans wrote pastorals and
> this could have influenced him very much. Perhaps this explains the timeless
> unreality of Prospero's Cell - indeed much of Durrell's writing. To be
> honest the man is his own genre.
>
> David White - Burgundy
>

> 16 William Street
> Marrickville NSW 2204
> Terra Australis Incognito
> + 61 2 9564 6165
> 0412 707 625
> www.denisetart.com.au

W. L. Godshalk                 *
Department of English *           *      *
University of Cincinnati    *     stellar disorder *
OH 45221-0069     *               *          *
godshawl at ucmail.uc.edu