[ilds] A Tale of Two Alexandrias (WSJ)

Charles Sligh Charles-Sligh at utc.edu
Sat Mar 5 06:47:06 PST 2011

Please see the Wall Street Journal piece below for several glances at
Durrell's Alexandrian moment.

The historical coverage in the article is a bit botched.  This story has
been in the works for several weeks, with one of the authors
interviewing prominent Alexandrians and biographers of modern
Alexandria.  An editor's hand may or may not be at fault.  I suspect
that what we read this morning has been cut down to size in light of how
the West's attention has drifted away from Egypt and on to other
events.   Sad for the Alexandrians. . . .

***
*
A Tale of Two Alexandrias (Wall Street Journal)
Over the past six decades, Egypt's second city has morphed from
cosmopolitan oasis into Islamist stronghold*
By MARC CHAMPION And LUCETTE LAGNADO
MARCH 5, 2011

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703786804576138161911236484.html?mod=WSJ_LifeStyle_Lifestyle_5

Assistant Professor