[ilds] Pastoral Literature

Denise Tart & David Green dtart at bigpond.net.au
Fri Mar 4 14:44:52 PST 2011

R.W was onto something and it's a pity he's gone quiet.

And yes I am pleased you mentioned the Bard of Avon himself, The Tempest being an obvious inspiration for Prospero's Cell, but we can also see the As You Like It concept alive and well in the olive groves and woodlands of Corfu with self exiled Count D and his little court of poets and philosophers pondering the infinite by moonlight as docile rustics, often persons of wisdom themselves, inhabit the surrounding landscape - a idyllic landscape where flies and mosquitoes are not mentioned (except by the cynical count - thinking of Jacques here) and slow rhythm of the seasons goes on like the pulse of life itself. And do I like, you bet I do! I'd say if anything, it was the poetry of the Elizabethans that seeped into Larry the most.

David