[ilds] Pastoral Literature

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 4 14:22:38 PST 2011

David,

Yes to all your points.  The Renaissance was the great period of pastoral in English literature:  Spenser, Sidney, Shakespeare, Milton, Marvell.  That fact seems overlooked when discussing Durrell's fascination with the Elizabethans, where the rambunctiousness of the period gets emphasized.  Pastoral is just the opposite.  When you think of it, when you look at Durrell in his 1960 photos at Mazet Michel, doesn't he looked like a rustic in his workman's shirt and jeans with turned-up cuffs?  He even has a guitar in place of a panpipe.  Not a put-on, I think.  R. W. is onto something.

Bruce