[ilds] Pastoral Literature

Denise Tart & David Green dtart at bigpond.net.au
Fri Mar 4 13:48:44 PST 2011

Bruce, I like the idea of the island books being a kind of modern pastoral. I can see it: the poet and his friend amidst a rustic background discussing the great issues (Prospero's Cell particularly) and the philosophical peasants in place of the shepherds - 'where the shepherd is the artist and the goats make music with the wind' to quote RW Hedges. certainly a fair number of Larry's beloved Elizabethans wrote pastorals and this could have influenced him very much. Perhaps this explains the timeless unreality of Prospero's Cell - indeed much of Durrell's writing. To be honest the man is his own genre.

David White - Burgundy

16 William Street
Marrickville NSW 2204
Terra Australis Incognito