[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 48, Issue 3_ Dewford Mallows

Sumantra Nag sumantranag at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 23:01:58 PST 2011

Bruce,

I liked this reference and assessment of Durrell's evocation of Mountolive's parents.

"the antinomian nature of irony".

Wasn't this the phrase which first brought Justine face to face with Darley as he sat eating olives at a shop in Alexandria after delivering a talk on Cavafy where Justine was in the audience?

"...She came into the shop with swift  and resolute suddenness and said, with the air of authority that Lesbians, or women with money, assume with the obviously indigent: "What did you mean by your remark about the antinomian nature of irony?" - or some such sally which I have forgotten." (Justine)

Of course Mountolive contains a quiet flow of narrative while it is also suffused with Durrell's brilliant descriptions and depiction of romantic love amidst the pools of grandeur and underlying lust and seediness of Alexandria.

I must say for myself that it is "Justine" which still holds the imagination with its spontaneous intensity, a quality captured for instance in the extract from the review of The Times at that time"...Justine is no ordinary novel...It holds great richness and beauty."

How many novels immediately strike the reader for their beauty? Of course beauty in a novel may come from different sources for different readers.

Does Mountolive gain substantially in its appeal if it is read after Justine (and perhaps Balthazar) because it deals with the rich background which has already been created? (That is a Proustian effect I might say...you are reading about the same people in the same intricately described setting but you want to know more about both because your interest and your curiosity have been stirred and stimulated through the imagination!)

Best wishes

Sumantra