[ilds] Possible Connections to peasants

Denise Tart & David Green dtart at bigpond.net.au
Tue Mar 1 23:30:58 PST 2011

i think that might also be part of my fascination with Durrell - who was a man who in a sense never had a homeland, was "freed" from it, and yet devoted some of his writing to trying and create it.
Rony

I most humbly postulate that Durrell's quest for belonging was the well spring of his creativity and drove his physical life also. We say Deus Loci and want to be there because he wanted to be there, to invest the present and precarious with meaning; the embrace of Greece - a fiery love; the embrace of France - acceptance at least and peace; better for old age.

BUT I look at pictures of LD in 1960 and 1961, now in France, and as part of new belonging, dressed in French peasant style and he smoked like one and drank like one. In his later years LGD very much adopted a peasant image and writing was cutting wood, a very rustic metaphor and quite conscious I believe.

David Vin Blanc