[ilds] Possible Connection?

William Godshalk william.godshalk at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 13:13:44 PST 2011

I wonder if Durrell's interest in the trauma of birth -- a monumental
separation and abandonment -- is part of these other rejections -- death
being the irrevocable one. His feelings of loss and regret are
overdetermined.

Bill

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 12:56 PM, Bruce Redwine
<bredwine1968 at earthlink.net>wrote:

> Agreed.  The basic motive is autobiographical, i.e., the lost father in
> India.  How LGD chose to depict that fact, however, seems based on other
> factors.  For one, Mountolive, Sr. is alive, not dead and buried in India.
>  For another, he's not a pedestrian engineer/businessman but turns into an
> esoteric scholar living in a "Buddhist lodge near Madras." The latter is a
> little like Fermor's father working for the Raj and pursing various hobbies
> as an Edwardian naturalist. The Buddhist connection needs no explanation.
>  Why Durrell chose Madras may be because some Pali texts were published in
> that city of southeast India, a fact Durrell could have picked up during
> research in Theosophy and Theravada Buddhism, assuming he did such.  Pali,
> as I said before, is most closely associated with Ceylon/Sri Lanka, not far
> from Madras.
>

> Bruce
>

> On Feb 27, 2011, at 8:39 PM, Rony Alfandary wrote:
>
> > hi, Sound like  a very plausible interpretation. i can only add that I
> would suspect that Durrell's decision to portray Mountolive a an abandoned
> child is based upon his own experience, having been "abandoned" twice (at
> least) by his father - once when being sent to England and the second time
> when his father died.
> > Rony

W. L. Godshalk                 *
Department of English *           *      *
University of Cincinnati    *     stellar disorder *
OH 45221-0069     *               *          *
godshawl at ucmail.uc.edu