[ilds] Possible Connection?

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 28 09:56:26 PST 2011

Agreed.  The basic motive is autobiographical, i.e., the lost father in India.  How LGD chose to depict that fact, however, seems based on other factors.  For one, Mountolive, Sr. is alive, not dead and buried in India.  For another, he's not a pedestrian engineer/businessman but turns into an esoteric scholar living in a "Buddhist lodge near Madras." The latter is a little like Fermor's father working for the Raj and pursing various hobbies as an Edwardian naturalist. The Buddhist connection needs no explanation.  Why Durrell chose Madras may be because some Pali texts were published in that city of southeast India, a fact Durrell could have picked up during research in Theosophy and Theravada Buddhism, assuming he did such.  Pali, as I said before, is most closely associated with Ceylon/Sri Lanka, not far from Madras.

Bruce