[ilds] Possible Connection?

William Apt billyapt at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 09:42:29 PST 2011

Rony:

Yes, absolutely.  No question that LD's concept was rooted in his own
feelings of abandonment.  But if my theory is correct, Fermor's experience
made an "apt" metaphor to convey those feelings.

BILLY

PS:  During the Second Intifada in summer of 2002 I served as a volunteer
laborer for the IDF at the base at Tel HaShomer.  The volunteers were evenly
divided between Jewish and non-Jewish, and there were few tourists. It was a
fascinating experience and wonderful time to be there. Fortunately there was
a lull in the bombings.  I particularly loved the quaint Israeli town of
Metula on the Lebanese frontier where I stayed for several days after my
tour of duty concluded.  I will never forget the sounds of Arab music coming
from the village across the border or the yellow Hamas flags flapping in
that high mountain air.

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 10:39 PM, Rony Alfandary <alfandary at gmail.com>wrote:

> hi, Sound like  a very plausible interpretation. i can only add that I
> would suspect that Durrell's decision to portray Mountolive a an abandoned
> child is based upon his own experience, having been "abandoned" twice (at
> least) by his father - once when being sent to England and the second time
> when his father died.
> Rony

WILLIAM APT
Attorney at Law