[ilds] POSSIBLE CONNECTION?

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 26 15:51:22 PST 2011

Billy,

Indeed.  Entirely possible — that P. L. Fermor's father served as a model for Mountolive, Sr.  After all, Durrell and Fermor knew one another.  Others can comment on whether this connection has already appeared somewhere in print.  The deeper connection, however, i.e., why LGD was attracted to this theme of deliberate removal or disappearance, has already been discussed by Charles Sligh in his recent comment on Durrell's handling of "obscurity" or "posthumous" authorship in his writings.  I find his discussion true, provocative, and revealing.  I'll only add that I believe that Mountolive, Sr.'s exact whereabouts in the subcontinent is vague, intentional vague, I believe.  The old scholar is said to be translating Pali/Buddhist manuscripts in some unnamed monastery, and Pali, closely related to Sanskrit, is usually associated with what was then called Ceylon (now Sri Lanka).   That's another island, of course, and the importance of islands in Lawrence Durrell's mythology has come up for frequent discussion, most notably by David Green.

Bruce