[ilds] POSSIBLE CONNECTION?

Ken Gammage Ken.Gammage at directed.com
Sat Feb 26 16:53:36 PST 2011

According to Wikipedia, Fermor just turned 96 years old – happy birthday! I have a copy of Paris Review 165 (Spring 2003) with “A Visit with Patrick Leigh Fermor” by Ben Downing which has this quote on page 201:

“One close bond between us was our shared friendship with Lawrence Durrell. Like Katsimbalis, he had a wonderfully fluent and inventive gift of speech – never an ‘er’ or a ‘sort of.’ The sentences came pouring out as though already composed in detail, and they were always infectiously spirited and original. He seemed to pump new oxygen into the air. He could swim as fast as a dolphin and play any instrument from a grand piano to an ocarina. He knew and loved the Greeks and they loved him.”

-- Ken