[ilds] BITTER LEMONS the poem

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 14:13:17 PST 2011

"unshed" and "unsaid" seem to suggest something akin to a diplomat's
role...  What would have been the virtues of Durrell shedding or saying
his tears and feelings about Cyrpus?  Hence, he's neither condoning nor
condemning, which means being lost to both.

Good attention, Ken.  I see much of Durrell's poetry as explicitly
"unsaid."  For /Tree of Idleness/, I suspect the diplomatic restrictions
played a significant role -- prior to this, the unsaid strikes me as
already being present for aesthetic reasons.

Cheers,
James