[ilds] Pope Joan vs.Papissa Ioanna

Richard Pine rpinecorfu at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 19 00:19:32 PST 2011

My reason for including 'Pope Joan' in a provisional listing of LD's 'minor
mythologies' is: that LD himself, in his own discussion of 'minor mythologies',
lists several genres of popular literature to which his 'translation and
adaptation' of 'Papissa Ioanna' as a 'romantic biography' seems to belong. This
is in no way to denigrate Roidis' original, which, as Panaiotis points out, is
far more profound and has far more resonances than LD detected (and now that our
attention has been brought to the earlier (1935) translation by Kriton, we know
considerably more about how this came about).

Thanks to Panaiotis for pointing this out.
RP