[ilds] BITTER LEMONS the poem

Denise Tart & David Green dtart at bigpond.net.au
Fri Feb 18 23:38:26 PST 2011

Ozlem,

I agree fully with you that the Bitter Lemons refer to the bitter experience of Durrell's time on Cyprus; the Greece he loved turned nasty. I don't think that we need to go into all that sweet sour stuff.  Lemons have a symbolic meaning in Greece. Girls want to the gods to 'lemon them' - give them breasts. so the lemon as a voluptuous expression of sexuality and the Greek landscape which Durrell loved so much becomes bitter due to bitter experience (Durrell Carried a revolver during his last months on Cyprus).

Now, jumping to 'habits half a life time dead' which drew little response, I had a thought, chardonnay inspired I must confess, along the following lines: in 1957 Durrell was 45 years old, half a lifetime before that he was 22/23 and the year 1935, about the time he arrived on the island of Corfu. There is something reflective here, sometime dating to this time, some mode of thought or being. Perhaps the 'dry grass under foot' bringing back better memories of his Corfiot life. But the word revises is interesting. the habits will not be the same again; changed by experience Larry will return to serious writing, as he attempted on Corfu, only he will much better at it this time... and indeed many would say he was much better, the Quartet and Bitter Lemons (novel) coming out that year..

Darkness, vehemence - this is Cyprus during Enosis??  contrasting Rhodes - the sunny Colossus...

Cleary a collision with island reality that Durrell does not want to go into but the Greek sea, the sea eternal, washes over all, sighing softly upon the truth of our doings but not wishing to speak of them...

David Hanwood Chardonnay