[ilds] Pope Joan vs.Papissa Ioanna

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 10:58:28 PST 2011

Dear Panaiotis,

Thank-you for returning out attention to this.  My message to the list,
should anyone be interested, is here:

https://lists.uvic.ca/pipermail/ilds/Week-of-Mon-20071029/002962.html

As for the other book that pertains to Cavafy, it has now been published:

McKinsey, Martin. /Hellenism and the Postcolonial Imagination: Yeats,
Cavafy, Walcott/. Madison, NJ: Fairleigh Dickinson University Press, 2010.

I remain unable to refute or validate some of his claims.

As for Durrell's relationship with Kimon Friar, I do know from their
personal correspondence that Friar invited Durrell to translate one of
Nikos Kazantzakis' novels and praised Durrell's Greek, though LD turned
down the project.

For those who wish to do a comparison, Kriton's translation is now
freely avaialble online:

http://www.archive.org/details/MN5003ucmf_5

I hope you're still enjoying a sun-filled retirement!  Have you had luck
placing your own translation of Royidis?

Cheers,
James