[ilds] Pope Joan vs.Papissa Ioanna

Panaiotis Gerontopulos pan.gero at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 18 09:14:03 PST 2011

Dear James

    Thanks for answering my (empty) message. I remember with pleasure the evening spent at the Starbucks of Korais St. discussing with Beatrice Pope Joan vs. Papissa. It was in the autumn of 2003, I think, and you suggested that I should come to Rhodes and discuss my findings in Miracle Ground XIII. I did, but the presentation was a  disaster: no Power Point projector available, no discussion.  What we have discussed at the Starbucks and  what I tried to say in Rhodes reading the slides from my laptop is described in general in the abstract submitted  to the organizers of the Conference. (attachment 1) Three years later (this List Oct. 29, 2007), closing a brief debate on Durrell's Homerics  you had me saying that Durrell used a "French translation" as a "translation bridge" from Papissa Ioanna to Pope Joan. A "curiosity" that you were inclined to believe.

   The curiosity - a monumental imbroglio - is, that after more than half a century from its first appearance Pope Joan can still be described (Richard Pine, February 11) as one of LD's  "minor mythologies" or according to the cover of the Owen Modern Classics edition "a  translation and adaptation from the Greek of Emmanuel Roidis". Another book, another author. But the page title of the Derek Verschoyle edition (1954)  tells a quite another story (attachment 2).

Cheers

Panaiotis