[ilds] BITTER LEMONS the poem

Ken Gammage Ken.Gammage at directed.com
Tue Feb 15 22:53:52 PST 2011

Apparently I don’t have “Loeb’s Horace” in my Dutton paperback The Poetry of Lawrence Durrell (1962). However, I do have “BITTER LEMONS,” – and yes, I agree that this poem is about hiding or suppressing feelings: pain, sadness, memories, emotions. “Better leave the rest unsaid," - he wants to be understated, and yes he is bitter. "Keep its calms like tears unshed.” He doesn’t want to cause any more trouble. But still – even understated, even hiding something: the poem leaves a powerful impression. I don’t know more about it at the moment: when it was written in relation to the book. But knowing what we know about the subject matter, it is terribly sad.

-- Ken