[ilds] genetic criticism

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 13:57:48 PST 2011

Hi Bruce,

I've attached the advert and order form for Corinne's book here.  It's
hot off the presses and only reached my hands last week -- it's worth
getting for those interested in the scholarly matters or for anyone who
was in the Paris 2008 conference.

My piece is:

Gifford, James and Michael Stevens. "A Variant of Lawrence Durrell's
Livia; or, Buried Alive & the Composition of Monsieur; or, the Prince of
Darkness." /Lawrence Durrell at the Crossroads of Arts and Sciences/.
Eds. Corinne Alexandre-Garner, Isabelle Keller-Privat, & Murielle
Philippe. Paris: Presses Universitaires de Paris Ouest, 2010. 173-193.

I dug up some intended revisions to /Monsieur/ that were too late for
the print run, and Stevens and I contend that this influenced his first
visions of /Livia/, a fragment of which was received by /The Malahat
Review/ and published as "Gog and Magog."  He revised again to bury his
tracks, but it seems to set out the Avignon Quintet's vision in plainer
terms than is usually the case.

Cheers,
James