[ilds] For love of Molly (TLS, 04 Feb 2011)

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 15 10:46:35 PST 2011

The 4 February 2011 issue of The Time Literary Supplement has several good reviews (re Nabokov, plagiarism, Joyce).  In particular is Sarah Davison's very interesting article on two recent publications on Joyce.  Her review of Michael Groden's book on JJ focuses on topics recently touched upon by the ILDS List.  Namely, "genetic criticism" (the evolution of a manuscript and assessing that importance), which seems to be of interest to James and Charles, and the impact of an author's work on a reader, which many List participants have related with respect to Lawrence Durrell.  The latter I find intriguing as an approach to writing and publication — an indication that scholarship is breaking out of its narrow confines and finds it acceptable to relate the personal.  I have ordered Groden's book.  Michael Groden is Canadian, and that should please many, James especially.

Bruce

Begin forwarded message: