[ilds] Author Lawrence Durrell playing the guitar in his kitchen

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 13 12:48:26 PST 2011

James,

Good examples of Joyce in his prime.  I guess a study could be done on the trends in the photographs of authors, especially as they appear on their dust jackets.  Much of this activity was probably driven by the publishers, which means selling books, but it's reasonable to assume the authors approved.  The High Moderns were serious types who took themselves seriously and posed in a manner befitting their status.  Joyce, Eliot, Pound, Woolf.  They never smile, for one thing, rather they're serious and pensive, and dress appropriately for an evening at a good restaurant or club in London or Paris.  Although their literature is radical, their preferred form of self-presentation is conservative.  In terms of dress and demeanor, they're good members of the Establishment.  This is not true of Lawrence Durrell.  His preferred attire is nautical or workman-like.  I recall most vividly that portrait on the cover of The Atlantic (Dec. 1961), where he wears a pea jacket and scarf.  This is not a put-on.  That's the man, and that's the way we see him at home.  That last photograph at the back of Caesar's Vast Ghost is almost painful in its honesty.  I'm not sure, but he may even be smiling a Pursewarden smile.

Bruce