[ilds] Author Lawrence Durrell playing the guitar in his kitchen

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 10:26:19 PST 2011

I believe Joyce and Eliot posed for even more laborious projects, and
for Eliot, more suspicious too:

http://www.durbanet.co.za/exhib/dag/eliot.jpg

http://library.uvic.ca/site/lib/dig/JamesJoyceinParis.html

The High Moderns were extraordinarily good at self-promoting on a scale
Durrell & Miller's /Booster/ would wither before.  In fact, the High
Moderns succeeded to such a degree that I would argue Durrell's
generation in the war found itself squeezed between the competing
visions of the the High Moderns and the Auden Generation such that their
existence was, to a large degree, simply overlooked...

I might, for instance, compare Day-Lewis' comments about "where are the
war poets" to the explosion of poetry journals at Oxford during the war.
  The war poets were everywhere, but Day-Lewis wasn't terribly keen on
their politics nor their style, so he forgot they existed.  Eliot, like
he did to Joyce, tried to turn them into more Eliot -- hence Durrell's
"Only the city is Real" or his "So that..." at the end of /Justine/
(right after re-reading Pound's Cantos), or the "Once upon a time" that
*might* echo the opening of Joyce's /Portrait/, and Cavafy displacing
Eliot as the city poet.

I like this line of comparisons, Bruce, but I think it's a long, thorny
path.

Best,
James