[ilds] Panic Spring first edition

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 09:27:12 PST 2011

Hey Bill,

 > My copy of the British edition lacks a dj.

Then, Bill, you must buy!!

The dust jackets and type settings are distinct.  I didn't compare the
potential for different printings of Covici-Friede apart from the one in
Victoria and my own copy, but I could find no evidence of more than one
edition or impression by Covici-Friede.  It's certainly more common to
find than the Faber, though I suspect that's because I've spent most of
my time in North American libraries -- were I in London, I'm sure the
Faber would be easier to find...  I don't know the extent of the print runs.

I also couldn't find any evidence that Durrell had any direct hand in
the Covici-Friede edition, so I used the earlier Faber as my copytext.
There were incidental differences between the two, such as ligatures,
but nothing suggesting any revisions.  I didn't do a formal collation
since I would have had to do it all inside the library (UVic,
fortunately, had both editions), but I did at one  point note every
variation between the two texts -- I don't have those notes handy, but I
think they included a paragraph break, some punctuation, ligatures, and
one or two spellings, plus the subtitle.  I'd have to dig that notebook
up to check further...

Alas, the bookseller is incorrect when he states "never reprinted"...
2008 wasn't so long ago, and it's still in print through ELS:

http://www.elseditions.com/current.html#PS

As my edition states:

> This Edition
> This edition draws on the Faber and Faber first edition in 1937 in com-
> parison with the subsequent American edition by Covici Friede later
> in the same year, nearly contemporaneous with the firm’s bankruptcy.
> A few obvious typographical errors have been silently corrected, and
> spellings with ligatures have been modernized throughout. In contrast
> to Durrell’s later works, there are no authorial revisions between the
> two editions, which has simplified my task.

The lack of mss. and tss. for both /Pied Piper of Lovers/ and /Panic
Spring/ made things easier as well...  Getting a reliable period of
composition was more work!

Cheers,
Jamie