[ilds] Durrell and Joyce

Denise Tart & David Green dtart at bigpond.net.au
Sun Feb 13 00:18:02 PST 2011

yes. I like the pictures of LD in jeans and short sleeved button down shirts; very workmanlike which is how he spoke of writing when he began to do it full time. he does not play the foppish artist ala Wilde but the man who cut wood and lives simply and builds his own stone walls - like Churchill (probably with drink nearby). there is great craft in the man, even in his own presentation.

Charles, the copy in Time Life mag that came with the photos had these interesting words:

'as for the setting of the book, the city of Alexandria, it is described in such rich and fantastic detail that most readers are convinced it is the actual city in Egypt rather than a splendiferous creation of the author's mind.'

a splendiferous creation of the author's mind.........why not?

There is to me always a dreamlike quality to LDs writing. it's real but not real. he rarely mentions dates. you never know quite when it is, was or ever shall be; like Shakespeare an eternal cosmos....................you enjoy the fruit but there is no clock on the wall.

David vin de Pays