[ilds] Author Lawrence Durrell playing the guitar in his kitchen

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 12 17:16:34 PST 2011

Picking up from where Charles left off, it might be instructive to compare the iconic photographs of the High Moderns and other major writers of Durrell's times.  I attach below a link to a photo Joyce posed for.  What do such portraits say about the authors?  The photo of LD most vivid in my mind is the one at the back of Caesar's Vast Ghost.  It's posed and must appear with his approval.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't imagine a Joyce or an Eliot permitting such a portrait of themselves.

Bruce

www.themodernword.com/joyce/jj_profile.html