[ilds] Durrell and Joyce

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 12 14:06:08 PST 2011

Good distinction between Joyce and Durrell.  Joyce's Martello tower turns into a dazzling survey of Western literature.  Durrell's tower at the Ambron Villa becomes a view into a highly personal landscape.  Joyce is the great genius, of course, but he doesn't make you feel in the way that David relates about his reaction to Prospero's Cell.  Joyce in his natty jacket and straw hat, Durrell in his pair of jeans with turned-up cuffs.

Bruce