[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 47, Issue 11_Durrell remarks_Le Figaro

timlot at comcast.net timlot at comcast.net
Sat Feb 12 12:26:06 PST 2011

Marc,

You posting of the Figaro article was the Inspiration for me to look for a CD/DVD set by Georges Moustaki featuring his famous recording Alexandrie that I'd purchased several years ago, but forgotten about.  The DVD component is a film (in French) on Moustaki's life, beginning in Alexandria where he was born.  I discovered Moustaki about the same time I read Durrell's Quartet for the first time - back in the early 1970's.  Is Moustaki still popular in France today?

Also, has any Durrellian researched the source of some of Durrell's so-called "Arab" proverbs in the Quartet ?

Thanks,

Merrianne