[ilds] Durrell and Joyce

Ken Gammage Ken.Gammage at directed.com
Sat Feb 12 11:12:19 PST 2011

After spending the last few nights revisiting Ulysses, I had some thoughts about these 20th century masters. Joyce truly is the uebermensch, as Mulligan described Joyce’s young alter ego – perched high above Dublin, omniscient, pulling all the strings. His vantage as the storyteller is detached and virtually Godlike, his concerns nothing less than “…immeasurably remote eons to infinitely remote futures…”

Durrell on the other hand always seems to be the source of his own writing, the wellspring. Perhaps this is an effect of the Island books, where he told us what seemed to be his own story. Or maybe it’s just that we know the man so well. We see him in his kitchen with wine glasses and a guitar. We can practically hear his voice in everything he wrote.

- Ken

P.S. If Joyce was a poet, it’s chiefly of the “first he tickled her/then he patted her/then he passed the female catheter” variety.

This email may contain confidential and/or privileged
information. It is intended only for the person or persons to
whom it is addressed. Any unauthorized review, use, or
distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply email or
telephone and destroy all copies of the original message.