[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 47, Issue 11_Durrell remarks_Le Figaro

Sumantra Nag sumantranag at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 22:42:42 PST 2011

1. On Feb 9, 2011, at 1:17 PM, Marc Piel wrote:
Bruce, Perhaps you should start your own forum entitled "Against Lawrence
Durrell - or how to discredit one of the most creative authors of the last
60 years". This is not to be taken as aggressive. Just a "just" reaction to
your systematic negative
remarks whenever someone defends the talent and acknowledgement of LD.
Marc

2.
http://www.lefigaro.fr/voyages/2010/11/06/03007-20101106ARTFIG00008-l-alexandrie-de-lawrence-durrell-encore-et-toujours.php

Marc,

1. Without wishing to intercede where I probably should not, may I only
submit my own perception of the cumulative substance that I have seen in the
contributions from Bruce. On the whole and also in terms of individual
observations and comments, they don't seem to discredit  Lawrence Durrell.
On the contrary there appears to be a good deal of critical appreciation if
you take all the discussions. If a writer's literary reputation is to be
supported at any time, even at times of relative indifference, a critical
approach appears to be valuable. This may at times entail the attachment of
variable values to different works from the author, or even to his conduct,
without detracting from the core achievements. Again, I'm sorry if I am
neglecting certain aspects of your exchanges while making these judgements.

2. I opened the link to the article from Le Figaro and it promised to be
very interesting. Alas! I can't follow it in French. I don't suppose there
is an English version of it. It would be of great interest to me but I
suppose there is no reason why those without a knowledge of French should
expect to be treated to an English translation!

Regards

Sumantra