[ilds] Panic Spring first edition

Charles Sligh Charles-Sligh at utc.edu
Fri Feb 11 09:52:35 PST 2011

On 2/11/11 12:09 PM, Godshalk, William (godshawl) wrote:

>         Another question: what is the relationship of the first British edition of Panic Spring to the first American edition? I have a copy of each, but which was published first? I assume that the American edition was second, but if so why did the American publishers pick it up? Because it sold well in GB?

Covici-Friede's subsequent bankruptcy may or may not tell us that the
publisher had weak sense of what new titles would turn profit.  (James
may wish to elaborate beyond his textual note
<http://www.amazon.com/Panic-Spring-Monograph-Lawrence-Durrell/dp/1550583816/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1297446677&sr=1-1>.)

Ian MacNiven has some coverage of the publication history in his
biography (127-128).

CLS

Assistant Professor
Department of English