[ilds] White Eagles Over Serbia

Richard Pine rpinecorfu at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 11 08:24:13 PST 2011

It was an astonishingly blunt statement. If you don't like that book, say so but
don't label all other 'Durellians' with a dislike they don't share. My personal
least-liked of LD is 'Sicilian Carousel', which he admitted to me was 'a
makeweight while I'm waiting for the cistern to fill up with the successor to
Monsieur', but I wouldn't dismiss it out-of-hand, not least because some have
spoken highly of it in this column.
The reason why 'White Eagles' or, for that matter, 'Dark Labyrinth', 'Pope
Joan', 'Antrobus', 'Judith' (altho the latter hasn't yet been published, but is
discussed in my 'Mindscape') etc etc, don't come up for serious discussion is, I
think, due a reluctance on the part of 'Durrellians' to acknowledge that there
was a LD and a 'Charles Norden', the latter of whom H Miller shamed LD into
discarding as a nom-de-plume for his 'minor mythologies' - the second-string
potboilers, 'makeweights', etc. that came in between the major works.

I've tried to make the case for this two-level activity in what I've written
about LD, and am preparing to do so again. One wouldn't necessarily discuss
these works with the same 'seriousness' that one applies to the Quartet,
Tunc/Nunquam or the Quintet, but one discusses them nonetheless.

RP