[ilds] CPC and LGD

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 10 11:40:45 PST 2011

Ken,

The way you "inhaled" Cavafy on a rainy night was the way I first read Durrell in 1958.  The two are very different poets, however.  Cavafy is better at infusing his feelings into everyday objects, as in "The Afternoon Sun" and "In the Evening."  In contrast, I think Durrell uses his poetry to hide his emotions, "Bitter Lemons," for example, or "Loeb's Horace."  A poem I like, H. R. Stoneback's "Meditation on an Old Photograph IX:  Larry and Sparrow in the Dark Garden at Sommières — June 1986," in the current issue of Deus Loci, owes more to Cavafy than to Durrell, I think.  That I find ironic, given the publication, the title, and the appearance of Durrell himself.

Bruce