[ilds] quizz

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 10 07:35:10 PST 2011

Ilyas,

I haven't read Davies and his Deptford Trilogy, so I can't comment.  Maybe now's the time.  Thanks for reminding me.  I don't believe, however, Davies's and Durrell's careers are analogous in the sense of a meteoric rise followed by a precipitous decline.  How this can happen is what intrigues me.  How do we account for it?  What is it in today's literary tastes that precludes appreciating LGD?  To say simply that tastes change is not in my mind a satisfactory answer.  The people I refer to who call Durrell unreadable are very smart and well-educated.  They are not to be dismissed.  On the other hand, we have a great critic like Harold Bloom, who does appreciate him, quotes him, but Bloom calls himself a Gnostic, and that may have something to do with a particular frame of mind receptive to Durrell's style and interests.

Bruce