[ilds] quizz

Ken Gammage Ken.Gammage at directed.com
Wed Feb 9 20:51:10 PST 2011

I don’t think we need be overly concerned about whether Durrell is popular at the moment. Ephemera is popular. Whole genres of human endeavor in the arts go out of popular favor - like Jazz, which was last truly popular music (in the U.S. at least) in the 1940s, before bebop became too challenging for many listeners. For Jazz fans, as well as LD fans, this should be irrelevant. There are many other topics to address on the list. What about the 1987 BBC-TV series My Family and Other Animals, with Anthony Calf portraying Larry Durrell? I would like to see this again – I may have seen some of it on VHS at the time. What of C.P. Cavafy? There is much more to be said about his role as muse to the Quartet. I picked up the Rae Dalven translation on a rainy night in Berkeley a few years ago – and inhaled it! I don’t think I’ve ever sat down and read a whole book by a single poet before, rapt. But I still like Durrell’s translation of “The Afternoon Sun” in Clea the best.

-- Ken