[ilds] quizz

Meta Cerar meta.cerar at guest.arnes.si
Wed Feb 9 03:50:03 PST 2011

I don't know about Durrell's popularity in other countries, but I have to
say that the Slovenian publisher was very willing to publish the Dark
Labyrinth. My proposal was accepted without hesitation, although the editor
is well aware that the book probably won't sell very well. Even the EU
financial suppport was approved very shortly after the application had been
submitted. So Durrell's name still counts and his popularity may be in for
better times. Unless the book turns out a complete commercial failure, I
intend to propose a few other works of L.D., Bitter Lemons being the first
on the list.

Durrell is not very well known in Slovenia. Very few people I know read all
the 4 parts of the AQ. Most of them decided that Justine was either too
difficult or too dull and never bothered to read Mountolive and Clea. When
the AQ was reprinted in the beginning of 2000s the event went by unnoticed.
So I'm really curious about the response to Dark Labyrinth which is due to
come out in May. I do hope that the publisher will provide for the publicity
it deserves.

Meta Cerar

  _____