[ilds] Durrell and Heritage

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 10:11:06 PST 2011

On 07/02/11 10:09 PM, Rony Alfandary wrote:
> I think that there lies the clue - Durrell's presnence, or absence, from
> University courses. if Durrell is not taught, he is not sold, his
> books don't get reprints etc. and he slowly disappears, only to be found
> in 2nd bookshops.

Part of this is publishers as well.  There has been a longterm
resistance to the kind of critical editions of LD that get used in
classes while other authors (estates) of his generation embraced them.
There's also the fact that so few of LD's short stories are published
and none anthologized.

Had Charlotte Perkins Gilman not written "The Yellow Wallpaper," I doubt
any young readers today would find a copy of /Herland/ in print.

Cheers,