[ilds] Durrell's Heritage

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 20:19:08 PST 2011

On 07/02/11 5:27 PM, Bruce Redwine wrote:
> Now, about Lawrence G. Durrell's sagging reputation

To be perfectly frank, Bruce, I think a good deal of "reputation" comes
down to fashionable movements.  Blake was deeply out of fashion for
quite a while, and some otherwise minor writers are deeply in fashion at
the moment.  I think we read for convenience, and in some respects, to
serve secondary goals -- for instance, I teach my compatriot Margaret
Atwood's /The Handmaid's Tale/ on a regular basis.  I don't actually
particularly like it as a novel, nor do I see the same artistic merit in
it that so many others see.  However, it teaches beautifully and allows
me to develop several reading skills in my students...  Many works
develop a reputation based on such things.

We might ask the same about nationalist literatures, which may not be
particularly good, but serve a real purpose.  Hence, the reputation
flourishes.

Durrell, alas, didn't fit his time period, doesn't easily serve a
nationalist literary cause, and stubbornly refuses to fit into any easy
"school" or movement.  That makes him rather difficult to fit into a
course, into a literary study, and so forth.  Entirely apart from the
merits of the work, it's unruly and doesn't always fit with the more
common projects.

Like Grove's Fame and her backward glance, I suspect our literary
histories will reconsider the 40s through 60s in ways we've not
anticipated.  Unless I'm mistaken, Mary Wolstonecraft's /Maria or The
Wrongs of Woman/ was out of print for quite some time!  Surely its
recovery wasn't purely based on its literary merit, and her cache for
suffrage and feminism played a goodly role.

Such are my two bits.

Best,