[ilds] Durrell's style

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 16:40:33 PST 2011

On 07/02/11 3:39 PM, Marc Piel wrote:
 > James; what "Fraenkel" are you talking about????
 > Marc
 > NB: Is there a link?

Not Victor: Michael Fraenkel, with whom Henry Miller had his /Hamlet/
correspondence in the 1930s.

Durrell excerpted from it for his "Studies in Genius: Henry Miller"
piece in /Horizon/, and my contention was that the concept they both
articulate there of "the Unknown" is a useful way of discussing their
stylistic tendencies across their careers.

Alas, it's not floating around cyberspace, nor is it necessarily the
best thing out there -- if anyone's interested, I can send it, but
otherwise it's in the standard proquest databases and such...

Best,