[ilds] Durrell's Heritage

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 16:01:37 PST 2011

I happen to like hearing from Grove's gob -- in fact, I think I'm going
to solicit a new column in the ILDS Herald!

Are you keen, Grove?  As for judging an author's reputation, it's always
going to be subject to perception.  Daniel Steele certainly outsells
Durrell, but I think we'd count reputation differently -- Durrell
certainly gets academic attention as well, but question would be "In
which journals?  By which scholars?  Because of content in which
courses?"  Alas, the last often determines the first two, and Durrell
isn't taught as much as he ought to be -- a big part of that is based on
where scholars teach, and many Durrell scholars don't work at the
research intensive schools, and the availability of classroom editions
is pretty well nil.

Many factors apart from quality compound to determine reputation.

Cheers,
James