[ilds] Durrell's style

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 14:49:35 PST 2011

A challenging question, Bill!  Do you mean my dissertation, which was on
textual aporia in Durrell's and Miller's major works?  I heartily
recommend it to the insomniacs!

The gist is that Durrell, in particular, plays with textual gaps or
apophasis in a ways that promotes the reader's individual imposition of
closure.  The most overt instance was Miller's descent into a pit in
Greece, which has no description in his books but has attracted some
lovely academic responses...  Alas, it just ain't there!  The link
between the two was Durrell's quotation of Miller's letters to Fraenkel
about "the Unknown."

Are your spidey-senses tingling, Bill?

Best,
Jamie