[ilds] Durrell's Heritage

William Apt billyapt at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 13:53:36 PST 2011

Marc:

People may say that they read, but that doesn't mean that they truly
understand and absorb what they read.  I read LD with two dictionaries, with
online encyclopedias for his references, with maps, and with online
translation sites.  Unless one is extraordinarily erudite, without such
aids, one cannont fully grasp LD's work.  Moreover, so much of LD's beauty
is the nuance of his rhythms and imagery:  its like reading poetry.  One
doesn't just run through this stuff.  One needs to read, absorb, reflect,
and often re-read before moving on.  I agree:  it is pleasurable - highly so
- but it is also labor intensive.  Say what you will, but most of the
typical reading public doesn't read like that.  If they did, Proust would be
an Opra Winfrey selection.  Great art demands one's full attention.
Anything less is disrespectful.

BILLY

PS:  After nearly 30 yrs, I recently re-read Joyce's *Portrait of the Artist
*.  With all the Irish-isms and political period references, it was quite
difficult without the aid of notes.  And then there was the subtle poetry of
Joyce's structure.  How many young people say they read it?  Lots.  How many
do you think really understood what they read?  Few, I'm sure.

WILLIAM APT
Attorney at Law
7004 Bee Cave Rd, Bldg 1,
Ste 205